This post provides step-by-step instructions on how to install the required Carbon Desktop application on your PC or Mac, as well as, backing up and restoring apps using the free version of Carbon. A future post will provide instructions on how to purchase premium version, link it to your Google Account, backup and restore from a Cloud service, schedule backups and finally sync apps between other devices.
NOTE: This does not backup the free books that come with the MeeGenius app. A factory reset is the only way to get these back if you happen to uninstall MeeGenius.
Windows Users Only: Install the Android Drivers for your nabi device onto your PC.
Windows & Mac Users: Install Carbon - App Sync & Backup on to your nabi device.
NOTE: The following instructions were completed using a nabi 2 Tablet and a computer running Windows 7.
INSTALL CARBON DESKTOP:
1. Download Carbon Desktop for Windows or Mac (10.6+).
2. Double click on the downloaded file to begin the basic installation process.
3. Click on the Run button.
USING CARBON TO BACKUP TO SD CARD:
NOTE: Backing up app data only (ie. game progress) means that the app itself must be installed from its originating market before the data can be restored to it. If you want to backup both the app apks and related app data be sure to uncheck this box. Apps that developers have protected will not be backed up, but the related app data will.
USING CARBON TO RESTORE FROM SD CARD:
24. Click on the three stacked squares icon in the top right corner and choose the PC Download option. NOTE: If you do not see this icon, rotate your screen orientation to landscape view and then back to portrait view.
NOTE: The following screen will appear providing you a method for you to connect your PC or Mac to the tablet wirelessly for app and app data backup.
27. Click on the apps that you want to backup to your computer.
NOTE: Unlike the External SD Card method shown above, the restore process using a PC or Mac will restore all of the apps within a specific backup, so you may want to consider backing up apps individually.
28. Click on the Start Backup button to begin the backup process.