2012/10/23

Once Upon a Time...



A number of parents have asked if Scholastic's Storia app could be installed on the nabi 2 Tablet.  It's currently only available through the Google Play Store, but since it is a free app and thanks to Fan-a-Tech Nikki, parents in the United States can now install Storia and begin enjoying the wide selection of books that Scholastic has to offer children ages 0-13+.

Here's Nikki's review. " This app is amazing!  Picture the Kindle or Nook app just for kids!  It has your typical Scholastic books, including Diary of a Whimpy Kid and Harry Potter!  And the prices are great!  This will also give credit to your classrooms so your teacher can still get their free books!  You can also set up different bookshelves so each child can have a bookshelf filled with age appropriate books.  Also any book that has a lightning bolt next to it means its an interactive!  Like one of the books it comes with has a little game on one page that asks the reader to find 3 things that start with the letter "S"!  My son loves it!   You also get 5 free books that includes Goosebumps and Clifford!  One of our new favorite apps! "

It is highly recommended that you register for a Scholastic account, prior to installing the app on the nabi 2 Tablet.  Click on the Register link in the top right corner of the 
Scholastic homepage and enter the required information to create an account.

SCHOLASTIC STORIA APK
1. Power on the nabi 2 Tablet.
2. Log into Mommy/Daddy Mode.
3. Launch the Browser app.
4. Type everythingnabi into the address bar and hit the Enter key.
5. Click on the Everything Nabi! link.
6. Click on the Once Upon a Time... post and scroll down to Step 7.
7. Click this link to download Scholastic Storia v2.1.3.
8. When the download is complete, launch the apk installation.
9. When the installation is complete click on the Open button.
10. Sign into the app using the e-mail address and password you used when registering.
11.  Dismiss the Download the Storia Dictionary pop-up window by clicking on the Download Later button.
12. Click on the Go Now button when the Set Up Your Bookshelves pop-up window displays.
13. Select the number of bookshelves you'd like to create, then click the Next button.
14. Enter the first name and birth month and year of each child being assigned a bookshelf, then click the Next button.
15. Assign the 5 free books that come with the app to the appropriate bookshelves or if they are not age appropriate, leave them Not Assigned. Click the Next button.
NOTE: A book can only be assigned to one bookshelf at a time.
16. Click the Close button to exit the Bookshelf setup process.
17. Click on the desired Bookshelf button.
18. To access the Bookshelf settings, click on the icon in the top left corner.
19. Click on the View option to choose a Bookshelf or Detailed look.
20. Click on the Sort option to sort by Author, Last Read, Newest and Title.
21. Click on the Wallpaper option to pick a different color scheme.
22. Click on one of the free books to begin downloading it to read.
23. The lightning icon indicates some sort of interactivity within the book.  
This can include comprehension questions and videos.
24. Exit out of the bookshelf, by hitting the Back key.
25. Click on the Settings icon in the top right corner.
26. Click the Shop for eBooks button in order to access the Scholastic Storia store.
27. Shopping by Grades makes it easy to find books that are age appropriate. 
28. Make your selection, check-out and your new eBooks will sync with the tablet after you hit the Sync Your Account button.

Happy Reading!

34 comments:

I was able to install Storia but when I try to purchase new books, it displays an error message that Storia needs to be installed to purchase ebooks. How can this be corrected? Also, every time a word is selected to be spoken or pull up the dictionary, Storia closes.

The directions in the blog post say NOT to install the dictionary as it causes the app to crash. Books are purchased through the website using your login. Make sure you've logged in using the same account. Once a book is purchased then you need to click the sync button in the app to gain access to it. Be sure to remove the dictionary.

Thank you. I did see the instructions did read to dismiss the download dictionary but I must have missed where it read that it will cause it to crash. I have uninstalled it, however, using the highlighting tool causes the same issue - Storia closes. I uninstalled it and reinstalled to make sure I used the same account information and now I'm able to purchase books. Thanks for your quick response. I look forward to when the full application will work for NABI so we can take advantage of all it's resources to help new readers.

Hi Fan-a-Tech Scott:

I have followed the instructions up to step 7. Once I click on the link, I get the message "The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan". Download anyway. When I press the "Download anyway", the tablet does nothing.

Please help and thanks in advance!

I had the same problem wth the Download anyway button. Just zoom in on the button and you will be able to click it.

Good Luck!

I've been trying to do this forever (slight exaggeration)! Thank you so much!

Scott, excellent post and love the blog. Question about Storia and not dowloading the dictionary. I didn't dowload the dictionary and installed the app only. I then tested what would happen once I added the app to nabi mode. I did so, opened nabi mode, launched the app (as my son would) and the settings icon was in the upper right hand corner. I opened it, and there was the button to dowload the dictionary. YIKES. I was hoping that nabi mode would stop me from proceeding. No such luck. I touched the button and the download started with no way to stop it either. So this means that even if we don't install it - there is a good chance that our kids likely will at some point.

"Anonymous says: November 29, 2012 1:46:00 AM EST Reply
Scott, excellent post and love the blog. Question about Storia and not dowloading the dictionary. I didn't dowload the dictionary and installed the app only. I then tested what would happen once I added the app to nabi mode. I did so, opened nabi mode, launched the app (as my son would) and the settings icon was in the upper right hand corner. I opened it, and there was the button to dowload the dictionary. YIKES. I was hoping that nabi mode would stop me from proceeding. No such luck. I touched the button and the download started with no way to stop it either. So this means that even if we don't install it - there is a good chance that our kids likely will at some point."

Unfortunately this is not an officially supported app, so there isn't much that could be done about this from a Fuhu point of view. Are you sure you weren't logged in as yourself, when accessing it in nabi Mode? If not then I'd recommend sending an e-mail to the developer, as it is an issue.

You said "Are you sure you weren't logged in as yourself, when accessing it in nabi Mode?"

Not following you. Are you saying logged into the Scholastic site? Hmmmm...I likely was because I was in Daddy Mode, logged into Scholastic, downloaded the books, checked out a couple. Then I closed the app, went over to nabi mode, fired up Storia and then discovered the ability to download the dictionary. I will test tonight by logging out completely before I leave Daddy mode and then test Storia in nabi mode and see what happens.

"Anonymous says: November 29, 2012 12:36:00 PM EST Reply
You said "Are you sure you weren't logged in as yourself, when accessing it in nabi Mode?"

Not following you. Are you saying logged into the Scholastic site? Hmmmm...I likely was because I was in Daddy Mode, logged into Scholastic, downloaded the books, checked out a couple. Then I closed the app, went over to nabi mode, fired up Storia and then discovered the ability to download the dictionary. I will test tonight by logging out completely before I leave Daddy mode and then test Storia in nabi mode and see what happens."

If you setup a bookshelf for your child, then that should be the only thing they have access to. The dictionary should only download from the Parent controls, if you access them in nabi Mode.

I bought several Nabi 2s and was able to successfully install Storia on one of them, but when I try to load it on the other Nabi the Scholastic link in step 7 does not send me to Scholastic. Instead I get "Google 500.That's an error." Any suggestions??? The first download works beautifully.

When doing step 7, I get Google Error 500 That's an error. There was an error. Please try again later. That's all we know.

Just went to the link and was able to download to my 1st Nabi. Loading the books on now. Seems to be working fine.

I get the Google 500 error on the nabi as well, but the link works on my PC.

Fan-A-Tech Scott - You are Fantasic and Rock!

The "alternative link" worked and I now have Storia sucessfully on my Nabi2. Thanks for your help and thank everybody for all your suggestions and help as well.

When I download from the "Alternative link", I get an error message that says "There is a problem parsing the package." Any ideas what this means and how to fix?

Hi. I was able to download and install the storia app on my sons' nabi. I logged into Storia and set up bookshelves, too. But, whenever I go to the app, I get a message within a minute or two that says, "Unfortunately Storia has ended" and the app closes. Any ideas on what I can do about this?

Everytime I load the Storia app, I get..."unfortunately, Storia has stopped". Any ideas as to why?

I am not sure that not downloading the dictionary is the only real problem with this app. As others have stated, once you highlight a word on the page the app for stop. Maybe I am missing something in the instructions, but I don't see where it says that installing the dictionary is going to make the application crash.

I am actually not to pleased with the way the books look they were just scanned into digital format. There is not option to just have the text size increased. As such, the just zoom in via pinch zoom, and you can not turn the pages unless you return the page to its original size.

I think this app has alot of potential. But judging by its ratings on the Play Store, it is not a very polished application.

The title reads "in the states"", will this work in Canada to?

"Anonymous says: December 28, 2012 8:39:00 AM EST Reply
The title reads "in the states"", will this work in Canada to?"

Last time I took a geography course Canada was still an independent nation. :) No this will not work in Canada.

Scott, I realize we are independent, hence the question.

There is a Spelling Test app that is only available through Google Play. I have the iPad version, but would love to load it on my daugher's Nabi. Any idea how to do it?

Just an update-- we kept getting an error message (Unfortunately, Storia has stopped) when we were trying to use the Storia app in the beginning. However, I think it was a Storia problem, not a Nabi problem, because I got that same error message on our desktop. But, now it's working! And, my boys are loving it! =)

"Karyl Raber says: December 31, 2012 2:04:00 PM EST Reply
There is a Spelling Test app that is only available through Google Play. I have the iPad version, but would love to load it on my daugher's Nabi. Any idea how to do it? "

Please verify that this is the app you are looking for.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syborg.spellingtest

can storia be downloaded to nabi 1?

I have followed the steps and logged in and I get an update message with google play and it will not work without updating but it won't update when I hit update it just closes help

i am trying to download this app and it seems to install fine, but then i get the comment UPDATE REQUIRED- this function requires that you update Storia. Please visit Google playstore to update your app. the only options are UPDATE NOW or UPDATE LATER. can you help?

"Tabitha Trojan says: January 4, 2013 8:46:00 PM EST Reply
i am trying to download this app and it seems to install fine, but then i get the comment UPDATE REQUIRED- this function requires that you update Storia. Please visit Google playstore to update your app. the only options are UPDATE NOW or UPDATE LATER. can you help?"

The Storia app was finally updated today. As it is not available in Canada, I've asked another Fan-a-Tech to test to ensure that the latest version still works on the nabi 2 Tablet. If it does, I'll make the latest version available soon! In the meantime, hitting the Update Later option will work.

"Caulder says: January 4, 2013 6:02:00 PM EST Reply
I have followed the steps and logged in and I get an update message with google play and it will not work without updating but it won't update when I hit update it just closes help"

The Storia app was finally updated today. As it is not available in Canada, I've asked another Fan-a-Tech to test to ensure that the latest version still works on the nabi 2 Tablet. If it does, I'll make the latest version available soon! In the meantime, hitting the Update Later option will work.

"katinmayville says: January 4, 2013 2:00:00 PM EST Reply
can storia be downloaded to nabi 1?"

Unfortunately the apps will only run on Android 3.0 and higher, so no it will not run on the original nabi Tablet.

Hi there I am trying to download a book onto my sons nabi and it tells me to update throught google play..
any suggestions as to what to do
thanks

"Karen Lydon says: January 24, 2013 at 2:04:00 PM EST Reply
Hi there I am trying to download a book onto my sons nabi and it tells me to update throught google play..
any suggestions as to what to do
thanks"

Yes, upgrade to the latest version provided in this post. Scholastic Storia v2.1.

Post a Comment

nabi Tablet News

Loading...

 
9