The latest OTA update v2.3 for the nabi 2 tablet can now be installed and includes the upgrade to Android 4.1 and Google Mobile Services. Simply follow these detailed instructions that I've created and you are on your way to upgrading.
For those of you who have successfully used this process over the past 17 months and have the current versions of the Google Play Store and Google Play Services installed you do not have to worry about uninstalling them. The same goes with the other Google Apps. You will actually be a head of the curve, as the ones associated with the OTA update are older. This simply means that when the OTA update is completely installed and you launch into Parent Mode, Google Play Store, Google Play Services and any Google Play Apps you have installed will not need further updating.
Want to watch a YouTube video? Looking to create a Google Document? Have to upload a file to your Google Drive account? Want to surf the web using the Chrome browser? Looking to read your favorite Magazine or Novel? Need to rent and download a Movie for a car trip? Want to sideload a licensed app from another Android device and have it work? Want to use a Pattern screen lock, but want to have the peace of mind to log in a different way, if you forget it? If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, then you'll want to follow the steps outlined in this post to enhance your regular edition nabi 2 or nabi JR 4GB tablets running Android's 4.0.4 (aka Ice Cream Sandwich) OS. Unfortunately all other nabi tablets are running the Android 4.1.1 (aka Jelly Bean) OS and this process will not work when you come to install the Google Play Store app.
The required apks need to be installed in sequence, so please ensure that you follow the step-by-step instructions below and everything will run smoothly.
NOTE: All additional Google Apps can now be found under the following posts: Googlie Booglie Essentials and Googlie Booglie Optionals.
INSTALLING GOOGLE PLAY STORE:
8. Tap on the Download button.
• Google Account Manager - Google login system.
• Google Calendar Sync - Sync system for calendar.
• Google Contacts Sync - Sync system for contacts.
• Network Location - Provides location through towers instead of GPS.
• My Uploads
• Google Play Services v4.0.34 (924341-32) (2013-11-22) - Integrated Google Play Store with Google + and Google Accounts. To work correctly, some apps require Google Play Services to be installed and up to date.
• Google Play Store v4.5.10 (2013-12-09) - App, Book, Magazine and Movie market.
NOTE: If upgrading to the latest level of Google Play Services or Store, all you need to do is download and install the files again. None of the other apks need to be reinstalled.
21. Tap on the 3 square boxes in the top right corner to access a list of options.
22. Select the Settings option.
23. Tap on the Auto-update apps option.
24. Choose the Do not auto-update apps option.
25. Tap the Cancel button.
26. Under the General heading, uncheck the Notifications option.
27. Under User Controls heading, ensure that Password option is checked to prevent any unwanted purchases from the Goggle Play Store, without the user first entering the Google Account password. This functionality replaces the previous PIN option from older versions of the Google Play Store.
28. Exit the Google Play Store by tapping the Home soft key.
CAUTION: Do not update or attempt to install any apps, as it will force close the Google Play Store. The apk file installed is not fully functional on the nabi 2 or nabi JR 4GB Tablets. It does however allow for the purchase of Books, Movies and Music and in-app game content. The following pop-up will appear if you attempt to update or purchase an app. If you see this pop-up go to Step 29 for instructions on how to reset the Google Play Store and remove the message.
NOTE: This message will also appear if either the Google Play Services or Google Play Store apps you have installed are out of date. Please check back here to install the updated file(s). If the updated file is not yet available, please feel free to reach out to my Facebook page and request it, as I might not have noticed that the change has occurred myself.
NOTE: When you've completed the apk installations, tap on the Downloads icon and delete all of the downloaded apks, as their file names are coded and not of much use.
RESETTING GOOGLE PLAY STORE:
29. In Parent Mode, tap on the clock in the bottom right corner.
35. Tap the OK button to permanently delete the related app data.
36. Tap the Force Stop button.
37. Tap the OK button to stop the Google Play Store app.
38. Tap the Back soft key to return to the app list.
39. Repeat same steps to Clear Data and Force Stop the Google Play Services app.
40. Tap the Back soft key to return to the app list.
41. Tap the Google Services Framework app.
42. Tap the Uninstall button.
43. Tap the OK button to uninstall the Google Services Framework app.
44. Tap the Accounts & Sync option on the left hand menu.
45. Tap on your Google Account.
46. Tap on the three blocks in the top right corner.
47. Select the Remove Account option.
48. Tap the Remove Account button.
49. Exit Settings by tapping the Home soft key.
50. Reinstall the Google Services Framework app.
41. Launch the Google Play Store and sign in with your existing account.
42. Review the Google Play Terms of Service and tap the Accept button.
NOTE: Resetting Google Play Store means that you also have to change your settings within the app, as well.
43. Tap on the 3 square boxes in the top right corner to access a list of options.
44. Select the Settings option.
45. Tap on the Auto-update apps option.
46. Choose the Do not auto-update apps option.
47. Tap the Cancel button.
48. Under the General heading, uncheck the Notifications option.
49. Under User Controls heading, ensure that Password option is checked to prevent any unwanted purchases from the Goggle Play Store, without the user first entering the Google Account password. This functionality replaces the previous PIN option from older versions of the Google Play Store.
50. Exit the Google Play Store by tapping the Home soft key.